Tuesday, July 30, 2013

At The Intersection Of Music And Sci Fi

I was doing a little research on Don Maclean's epic '70s hit, "American Pie" today, and was quite surprised to learn that the musician has managed to keep mum on most of the references he wrote into it over 40 years ago.  That sort of thing seems almost unheard of to me when it comes to pop culture these days.

Anyway, one of the sites I visited was "20 Things You Might Not Know About Don Maclean's American Pie," a very worthwhile stop on my journey.  While most of the items were fascinating, I have to say that far and away the most rewarding one was # 18, the Weird Al Yankovic mashup of Star Wars Episode I and "American Pie," which I didn't even know existed before today.  If you've never seen it, you have to watch this thing of beauty!




I especially love the chorus:

"My my
 This here Anakin guy
 Maybe Vader, someday later, now he's just a small fry
 And he left his home and kissed his mommy goodbye
 Sayin', 'Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi... soon I'm gonna be a Jedi.'

I have an inexplicable affection for those 3 Star Wars prequels that most members of my generation seem to lack, and I have to admit that just watching that video made me want to put Eps I, II and III into the DVD player once again...

All that notwithstanding, if you love "American Pie" (as I do) then you should check out the other 19 items, as well.

No comments: