Sunday, March 16, 2008

Stuck In... Louisville, Kentucky?!

My latest print draft of The Real-Life Adventures of AgileMan (Lessons Learned in Going Agile) left Lulu on Friday, via UPS, and made it to the U.S./Canada border by Friday night... only to then do a U-turn and head south to Kentucky, where it spent the weekend (according to the tracking information provided)! I remember reading about how delivery companies will sometimes ship items in an non-obvious direction in order to minimize travel times, and I guess this must be an example... but Kentucky?

I've also decided to err on the side of caution, and do one more print draft before placing the big order. The thought of getting a few dozen copies after making a few small changes to the source file, only to receive them and realize that there's something wrong with the formatting, has convinced me to pay the time (and small shipping expense) penalty in order to "do the right thing." Sadly this will delay things about a week, but it's better than ending up with $300 worth of copies that I'd be embarrassed to sell or give away.

As I said to Vicki this morning, when explaining my change of heart on this topic, the good news is: I'm learning a lot about what's involved in actually getting a book (self-)published! I'll know how to do it better for the next one. And that's worth something.

No comments: