Thursday, September 24, 2009

Taking The Freakonomic View

I always enjoy the Freakonomics blog, but this guest post by "the Undercover Economist" was especially fun to read. I particularly liked the question (and answer) regarding the man who wanted to spend $6000 on his mid-life crisis project and had argued for it, against his wife's financial objections, by explaining that it was cheaper than buying a sports car or taking on a mistress!

I felt kind of proud of myself when I read the reference to "the old cake-cutting method" and quickly sussed out what that meant. I'm reasonably confident that it's a solution to the problem of cutting what remains of a cake into two portions for yourself and another individual: the person who doesn't cut it gets to pick his or her piece. In that way, you have incentive (as the cutter) not to make either piece obviously better than the other, for fear of losing it to your companion.

And having read what was "the second most unromantic thing" that a particular man had ever said to his wife was, I can't help but wonder: what was the first most unromantic thing he'd ever said?

No comments: