Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010's Nearly Over... So Did We Make Contact?

If you believe the title of the film adaptation of Arthur C. Clarke's 2010: Odyssey Two novel, this was supposed to be the year in which we make contact... with something! In the movie (and book), mysterious things begin happening on Europa, one of Jupiter's moons, and it all goes kind of crazy from there. Here in the real world, scientists discovered Arsenic-based (microscopic) life in 2010, which is pretty darned cool but not likely to immediately lead us to making contact with anything intelligent.

I haven't decided just yet how I feel about 2010. Usually around this time, I'm ready to say "good riddance" to the outgoing year as I usually feel that it's worn out its welcome by now. And sure enough, when I think of the medical issues that Vicki and I each had this year - nothing catastrophic, but also not a particularly good run - then I'm hoping 2011 will treat us better. On the other hand, Vicki and I made a great new friend (Julie) in the past several months, and that sort of thing doesn't happen very often, by any stretch. I was disappointed that I didn't get more consulting gigs this year, but my tutoring business took off to the point where Vicki had to pick up some of the work that I couldn't do! The comic books of 2010 were pretty lousy, but I've read a ton of terrific books over that period. So it's been an uneven year, which I suppose is the way that most of them go.

I guess that just means that I'm ready to check out 2011... and discover just what it has in store for us!

No comments: