Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Up Shared Vocabulary

I just had the pleasure of talking Up (the British documentary series, not the animated movie) with a friend who's recently discovered it... possibly because of this very blog, in fact. It's funny how, with Up, we always quickly start comparing notes on some of the principals (I'm loathe to refer to these real life people as "characters" but I often think of them that way!), almost as if they're people we each know, but separately.

I was telling him how our Up nights here have been events: Vicki, Julie and I would always start with dinner and then, prior to beginning the next installment, we'd review each of the various subjects - "So Neil was squatting in a flat in London because he couldn't afford his own place..." - and get Julie to predict what had happened to each in the intervening 7 years (Vicki and I had seen the series before; J had not). A two hour movie would just naturally stretch into a five or six hour evening while seeming to fly by, and the three of us would have an absolute ball! It's actually quite a downer that we finished it off on New Year's Eve, as we were on a fantastic run for 7 installments (7-Up through 49-Up).

I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a fascinating, immersive entertainment experience.

No comments: