Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Soccer: Even Less Exciting Than I Remember

Sometimes I really get into the World Cup, and I can appreciate what people who love soccer see in it. The rest of time I'm afraid it just seems really boring.

I've watched exactly two games in the 2012 Euro Cup so far: today's semi-final between Spain and Portugal, and last Saturday's quarter-final between England and Italy. What do those two games have in common, besides being the last two played? Both ended 0-0 after 120 minutes of play, requiring penalty kicks to settle. I actually enjoy penalty kicks, so I have no complaint about that aspect of the outcome in each case. But over the course of 2 full hours of play, neither team in either game could score a goal?! Really? Do they need to make the already-gigantic nets even larger? Or are there just not enough players diving and faking injuries in order to get free kicks and yellow cards handed out?

I have to say, this is not one of those times when I appreciate soccer...

No comments: