Monday, August 19, 2013

The Day The Clown Cried

I love movie lore, so when I recently read a random reference to a never-released Jerry Lewis film from the 70s that I'd never heard of called The Day The Clown Cried, I was intrigued.  If you've seen the 1997, Oscar-winning Life Is Beautiful, then aspects of Lewis' stillborn project will sound familiar: set during the Holocaust, a clown has to entertain children in a concentration camp while they unknowingly wait to be executed.  Lewis has generally refused to talk about the film, but today I came across an Entertainment Week article about one time he didn't.  It's a fascinating read and really leaves you wondering just how achingly-bad the film probably is, though it sounds like we'll probably never know.  Not while the comedian is still alive, anyway.  (He's exactly five days older than my sole surviving aunt, interestingly enough.)

No comments: