Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Latest Addition

It's been awhile since I added a really key comic book to my collection, as I filled out most of the series runs that I was interested in years ago.  The first appearances of the Flash, Green Lantern, Justice League of America, Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four (all from the Silver Age) were all very cool acquisitions, no doubt about it.  This weekend, however, Vicki and I purchased a comic that I never really expected to own a copy of: All Star Comics # 3, from 1940, featuring the first appearance of the Justice Society of America, the Golden Age precursor to the JLA!

This copy was 'slabbed,' meaning it had been professionally graded and then sealed inside a hard plastic case (similar to what's done to expensive trading cards, which is where the practice started, I believe).  I took it out of the case, just as I always do with slabbed comics I buy, as I like to read these things, not seal them away.  The grading information at the side of the photo indicates that there had been some restoration done to this copy, bringing it up to "an apparent 6.0" which means it looks like a 6.0 (out of 10) but is actually lower since it's been restored.  It sure is pretty, though!

No comments: