Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Book News To End The Year With

I'd hoped to have the first draft of Leap of Faith done by now, as the end of the year was my notional deadline for getting past that milestone.  As it turns out, I'm only about 2/3 of the way through the initial draft right now.  I've experienced a few slowdowns along the way, none of which have been the result of writer's block or a lack of interest in the story itself... which is good.  The delays have mainly been due to my poor work ethic - a problem I've suffered from ever since I retired - and numerous disruptions to my routine, the largest of which were the three bathrooms being completely renovated this fall.  Still, I feel bad that I've fallen behind.  My new goal is to complete Draft 1 by no later than the end of February, which would still allow for a release date in May or early June.

For the record, I started Chapter 13 this week.  Normally that would mean I was nearly done, as Game Over, No Brother of Mine and Old Wounds all had 13 chapters plus an epilogue.  Leap of Faith has tended to have shorter chapters, however, such that I've only written 150 pages and covered about 2/3 of the story in getting to Chapter 13.  I expect it to weigh in at 18 or 19 chapters and around 220 pages by the time it's all said and done.

In other book news, I found out today that Vicki and I have been invited to another book club meeting for No Brother of Mine.  My second novel was the November/December book for the club that a longtime friend of mine is in, and now that they've read it they've decided that they'd like to discuss the book with me at their next meeting, in mid-January.  We both had a great time at the previous such experience and so I'm very much looking forward to seeing what this new group thought of it.

And with those updates out of the way, 2013 draws to a close.  Happy 2014 to everyone out there!


No comments: