Thursday, September 18, 2008

Twice More, With Feeling

So I started Lost Planet on the 360 a little over a week ago, and have been liking it a lot. I completed the second mission late last week, and started the third. Then I realized that the little spinning coins that I'd been seeing throughout the game, which I couldn't pick up or do anything with, were targets that you could shoot and then they disappear (earning you credit, or points, for later in the coin, I'm assuming). Being the anal completist gamer that I am, I decided that I had to go back and replay Missions One and Two again, so that I could shoot the coins. And so I did.

As I made my way to the start of Mission Three again, I'd gotten right back to where I'd left off, and it was now Sunday evening at 8:30. Which is when the power went off. I didn't get another chance to play until late last night, which is when I discovered that as soon as I resumed the third mission, the 360 would lock up. Again and again, with the same result each time: a hard power cycle of the XBox required to recover. I tried going back to the second mission and going forward, but as soon as I got back to the start of Mission Three: lock up!

So, tonight I deleted all saved files for Lost Planet, and started again. Now on my third pass, I was actually getting a bit bored with the same bad guys and the same Akrids (the various giant beasts who inhabit the frigid world of the game). About a half hour ago I made it back to the fateful place where it'd been locking up, and was luckily able to get past the bad point.

My theory is that the power failure on Sunday night somehow resulted in a corrupt checkpoint write of some sort, and the only way that I was ever going to get past it was if I started over after getting rid of it.

Needless to say, I'm now looking forward to seeing some actual new levels in this game after three trips through the first two missions!

No comments: