Monday, September 15, 2008

See The 21st Century By Candlelight

Tonight, for at least the fifth time this year, we had our power go out. It happened around 8:30 p.m. and didn't come back until shortly after midnight, despite my calling the 24-hour hydro emergency phone number within 5 minutes of the start of the outage. That was a very long 3 and a half hours in candlelight. After about 2 and a half hours, I remembered that my laptop would have about 2 hours of battery left on it, and so I played solitaire while Vicki watched and kibbitzed. Before that, it was reading and boredom.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the infrastructure of our neighbourhood's electrical system, but clearly something is. There's no way we should lose power this often, but it seems like all it takes is a severe thunderstorm or strong winds, both of which we get fairly frequently anymore. I seriously thought tonight, "I wonder what it would cost to get a backup generator installed?"

Needless to say, whatever Vicki and I had planned for the evening went the way of our energy source. I just hope that the milk in the fridge didn't go sour (we've had that happen already this year, too).

No comments: