Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My First Book Club Experience

Well, that was a lot of fun!

Thanks to niece Vanessa, I spent this evening as Guest Author for the Quai du Vin Book Club (possibly just a name I made up for them). All of the club members had read No Brother of Mine as this month's book (again, courtesy of Vanessa) and I was invited to come and hear what they had to say about it and answer any questions they had. Happily, they all seemed to enjoy it very much, and I can only hope that's not just because I was there and they didn't want to hurt my feelings.

As Vicki said on the drive home, it was very interesting to hear how each person responded to different aspects of the book. Some keyed on the fast-moving plot as what interested them the most, while others were drawn to the characters or the relationships between them. Several women mentioned that certain personality attributes of Mitch, Sarah, etc, reminded them of people they know or even of their own feelings towards others.

This is the first time I've had the opportunity to have such a large-scale, interactive feedback session on the book, and I absolutely loved it! I hope I get the chance to do the same sort of thing at other book clubs, as it really helps to hear what parts of No Brother of Mine resonated the most with readers. Thanks to Vanessa, Candice, Debra, Justine, Karin, Katherine, Kim, and hostess Lisa for a very enjoyable and gratifying evening!!

No comments: