Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Latest In The Medical Saga

My current illness, which has lasted, in various forms, about a month and a half now, just keeps on hanging in there.  I went to the doctor today - my 4th visit over the past 6 weeks - and she confirmed that my ear infection has mostly cleared up.  However, I'm still coughing a fair bit and am exhausted after even a 1 or 2 km walk, as I discovered earlier this week when I walked to the mall and back.  By this point even Julie's beginning to express frustration that I'm not available to her as a walking partner, and she's pretty understanding about such things!

So the doctor gave me a prescription for an inhaler to use whenever the coughing's bad.  It's supposed to help clear up the airways somewhat.  We'll see how that goes.  She also instructed me to use a Netti pot, which I only know about because Emma had to buy and use one a couple months ago to address a bad sinus headache she was getting.  I tried it for the first time tonight, and it's very strange: you basically pour warm salt water up one nostril in the hopes that it'll come out the other... yeah!  I had a lot of trouble getting the water to do that, which probably means my sinus passages are, indeed, plugged up.  By the end of my first attempt, though, I was getting a little bit of flow, and some disgusting mucus was coming out.  I apologize that I don't have photos to post of that - I know, what was I thinking? - but you'll just have to take my word for it.  I'm hopeful that tomorrow's ritual will go better, and that eventually I'll be rewarded with some free-flowing movement.  The doctor seemed firmly convinced that this is what's going to take care of the post-viral issues I'm having, so I'm certainly willing to give it the ol' college try.

This is definitely the longest I've ever been sick, and I'm really, really ready for it to be over.

No comments: