Monday, November 05, 2012

Weird

I always operated under the conviction, growing up, that Marvel Comics fastidiously avoided mentioning characters from their rival, DC Comics, even going so far as to refer to DC as "our Distinguished Competition" rather than by name.

And yet I just read a Marvel comic from 1979 (when I would've been all of 16 years of age) that included not one, not two, but three ads on which DC's Batman appeared!  Master of Fung Fu # 83, from December 1979, featured two Saturday morning cartoon advertisements, one for The SuperFriends on ABC and another for the Batman - Tarzan Hour on CBS, as well as a rubber mask promo that had Spidey, the Hulk, the Red Skull and Batman masks!  I guess I must've been skipping over those pages completely when I was a kid.  I wouldn't believe it now if I hadn't just seen it with my own two eyes! 

Speaking of eyes: I'm happy to report that this comic also had an ad for X-Ray specs, a longtime mainstay of comic book ad pages.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find one for Sea Monkeys (sorry, Meena!).

No comments: