Saturday, November 21, 2009

Future Shop And The Video Game Trade-In Policy

Future Shop made a bit of a splash recently when they announced a new trade-in policy for video games. Basically, you can bring in 3 (or more) used video games for the PS/3, XBox 360 or Wii and receive in-store credit toward the purchase of new games. When I heard about this, I went looking through my small collection of PS/3 and 360 games to see if there were any that I was sure I'd never want to play again. I found 2, maybe 3 (Warhawk, Haze and maybe Splinter Cell: Double Agent, which I got with my first 360 and haven't even played once yet) but decided against trading them in right now. At most, the 3 of them would get me one new game so I wasn't sure it would be worth it at the moment.

But today I went looking at the Future Shop site, to see if maybe they're selling the used games that are coming in, and perhaps I could pick something up nice and cheap. Except that I don't see any for sale! Now, maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but if not... what are they doing with all of the used games that people are trading in? Are they... possibly... repackaging them and selling them as new?! I'm not saying that they are! But if they are, wouldn't that be somewhat unethical? After all, I'm pretty sure that I'm not allowed to re-sell my own games as if they were new (I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to re-sell them, period). Even places that sell used video games advertise them as such, and discount the price accordingly.

So just what exactly are Future Shop doing with all those used games? Does anyone know? (And I hope I'm not on to something here!)

[Update: I did some more digging, and their FAQ on the topic at least states that they do sell used games, that they guarantee them for 30 days, and that they sell them for discounted prices. I've yet to find one of them among the titles I've been looking for, but I'm happy to take them at their word unless some evidence indicates otherwise.]

4 comments:

Unknown said...

They do have a section of used games in store. But I found they were only $5-10 cheaper than buying it new.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Yeah, Damian, I've discovered the same thing, but online. It must be nice to be able to sell used stuff at 80 - 90% of the price of new! That's a great business model if they can pull it off!

Unknown said...

Not to mention that none of money from "used sales" goes to the developers/publishers of the game.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Good point, Keith. That's been a bone of contention for some game companies ever since the used game market started up with the smaller shops... I'm sure they can't be thrilled to see a "big box" franchise like Future Shop getting into the act now!