Friday, April 30, 2010

Everything Happens For A Reason

I was one of those solitary folk who actually enjoyed M. Night Shyamalan's 3rd film, a little Sci-Fi feature called Signs. It certainly wasn't as exquisite as The Sixth Sense or as intriguing as Unbreakable, but Signs had a lot of good moments in it. I liked the suspense it built up about the alien invasion, and I admired its dedication to one of its central themes: everything happens for a reason. (I'm not exactly sure what the reasons were for The Village, Lady in the Lake or The Happening, but that's another matter altogether.)

Tonight a funny thought occurred to me while talking to one of my job-seeking friends (I have dozens of them at the moment) which brought Signs to mind. The context of the conversation was the proverbial job interview in which a prospective employer asked the applicant about his or her experiences with Agile at their previous company. Now, not everyone from that dying company would want to speak highly of their Agile journey nor be interested in ever working in that sort of environment again; but some surely would. For members of that second group, it may prove daunting to recall the specifics of how our Agile adoption unfolded, thanks to both the passage of time and the fact the organization moved in another direction around the time I retired. How, oh how, to refresh one's memory of those heady days?

And then it came to me: I wrote a couple books about it! Anyone with copies of those books (or the single volume compilation of them) could spend a little time reading, re-reading or even just skimming my AgileMan books and come away with at least a fairly detailed representation of how I viewed the shenanigans! In point of fact, though, it's more likely that each individual reader would instead be reminded of his or her own experiences during that time, which is even better!

It's almost like I knew, way back then, that someday my friends and colleagues might have need of some form of record of what transpired while their heads were down, learning a new methodology! Everything really does happen for a reason!

And you're welcome.

No comments: