Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Few Quick Resume Thoughts

Since I'm starting to be shown resumes (several in the past 24 hours), now seems like an opportune time to provide a few general-purpose suggestions. Feel free to ignore them if you like (hey, I just work here).
  1. Proofread your resume. Then proof it again. Then ask someone whose literary skills you respect to give it a go. Then find another person to do the same after you've incorporated what was pointed out by the first person. Typos, grammatical mistakes, non-sentences and inconsistencies look unprofessional, even when you're applying for a "technical" position. Trust me.
  2. Wherever possible and appropriate, provide actual numbers. Don't write "Reduced delays" when you can write "Reduced delays by 75%" (assuming you can back up the claim in an interview). Don't just claim that "Automated tests were created" when you can truthfully state that "Automated test coverage increased from 0% to 88.5%".
  3. Don't fling acronyms around without first defining them, unless you're 100% sure they're well known. Figure out the difference between industry standard shortforms (e.g. TCP/IP) and ones that only mean something to the people you once worked with (e.g. PTR, CMAC).
I'm sure I'll think of others, but I just wanted to get those ones out there. Might save myself some work later on, if you know what I mean.

2 comments:

collin said...

Quite informative post. Thanks for sharing.

Take the Test Your Resume Test and find out whether you have a winning resume or not.

Anonymous said...

+5 Proofread.