Thursday, May 05, 2011

3 Project Managers Walk Into A Bar... Late

Tonight I was out with Vicki, our friend Susan, and another acquaintance of ours from our days at the bank. All three of them are, to one degree or another, project managers. (I've played the part of a PM at various points in the past but don't really consider myself one.)

So the plan drawn up by them was to meet at the acquaintance's newly renovated house near downtown for dinner around 5:30, and then head out to a performance of The Hobbit for 7:30. Things got off to a flying start when Susan was more than a half hour late thanks to... wait for it... locking herself in her car! How does one lock oneself inside a vehicle? Well, you'd have to ask Sue as I couldn't possibly do the story justice! She did manage to make several calls from inside the vehicle, though, so at least there was no danger of her dying there.

Dinner was wonderful but way too much for the time available. I can't remember ever being late for a play in my life (and I've gone to dozens), but of course this evening my wife and her two PM buddies could not seem to fathom that an elaborate dinner notionally kicking off at 5:30, involving three busy women (and me), was never going to be compatible with getting to a play by 7:30. Sure enough, by the time I'd dropped them off at the theatre, found a place to park, and gotten back to the theatre, it was 7:40 and I'd missed the first 15 minutes of Tolkien's classic by the time I got seated.

My advice: never socialize with project managers when hitting a deadline is important to you! :-)

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Haha that sounds like your worst nightmare ...

Sue G said...

HAhahahahahahaha. And may I add the moi was the first one in the theatre... and so early I actually emailed Jill to ask where you guys had gotten to!