Monday, May 16, 2011

Big, Big Book Update

This past weekend was the perfect opportunity for me to work on my novel, since Vicki was going to Toronto to spend some time with Tammy and the crappy weather meant no walks with Julie. And for once, things actually worked out as you'd expect: I got a ton of work done on the book, to the point where the first draft is essentially done!! (I still have an epilogue chapter to produce that I'm hoping to get some help from Julie with.)

I'll say that again: this sucker is very nearly complete in first draft form!

I can barely believe how much I got done over the weekend. I think it was either 4 or 5 chapters that I wrote... they blur together because I was at it for so long! I probably spent more than 30 hours writing and editing, between Friday morning and this afternoon. Over 30 hours! That's probably not much less than the total number of hours I'd put into it up to that point, to put things in perspective!

I had my second major brainstorm for this book on Sunday morning, just in time to incorporate what I'd come up with into it at the perfect spot. As I said to Julie on the phone today, it'll be hard for some readers to believe I didn't have this particular development planned from the beginning, but I really didn't... and yet it just fit like a glove!

The book has had a working title for awhile, but now that it's almost done, I'm making it semi-official. My novel will almost certainly be called:

Game Over

I'll be posting more info and teasers for Game Over as things progress. I'm actually much happier with how it's turned out than I ever expected to be, especially considering that it's my first attempt at a novel (as opposed to non-fiction). I'm so close to completion now that I'm confident, for the first time, that it's going to see the light of day. No date in mind yet, but presumably sometime in the second half of the year.

Still lots of work to do, but May 13 - 16 will now always be a hugely important period in the development of this book. I don't know when I've ever written so much in such a short time, but it was all worth it when I look at the results.

2 comments:

Boneman8 said...

With a title like that I'd have to guess that it's either a reference to what I'd say after seeing the Bruins give up 3 quick goals in the 1st, or a reference to what you'd say if the Blueshirts gave up 3 quick goals in the 1st period.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Good guesses, Boneman, but no. Although, I will tease the fact that there is a bit of a hockey subplot in it, thought it's a very, very small part.