Friday, August 10, 2012

On This Date In History

I've probably mentioned this factoid on the blog before, but am currently too lazy to look and see.

Anyway, 37 years ago today (Aug 10, 1975), while on a family trip to Cedar Point amusement park, we stopped at a convenience store in Sandusky, Ohio, and I went inside to see if they had any comic books. I'd left for this trip as the owner of 998 comics, you see, and I was hoping to maybe pick up # 1000 before I got back home. (And yes, I'd counted my comics... and even started cataloguing them by this point!)

As luck would have it, there was a 3-pack of comics in the store that I was sure I didn't own at least 2/3 of, since you couldn't really see the comic in the middle of the bag. It turned out I needed all 3, and so that mystery middle comic - Detective Comics # 452 - became the thousandth comic in my collection!

And it's been all gravy since then.

[Update later that evening: Yup, sure enough, I covered this 2 years ago. Oh well, it's a good enough story to show up a couple of times here!]

No comments: