Monday, January 12, 2009

1/12th Of The Way Through The 7th Season Of 24

We watched the 2-hour premiere of Season Seven of 24 last night. There's something almost comforting about a new season of this show starting up (after a 20-month absence, not counting the recent TV-movie), in that... you kind of know what to expect! Jack will be in deep trouble of some sort (check!), someone will need his help to prevent or deal with an imminent terrorist threat (check!), and we'll start to suspect (or find out) that someone within that organization is a mole (check!). It's very by-the-numbers TV, and yet...

... somehow I enjoyed it. I may tire of it later, as I did during the previous season, but right now it's fun trying to guess which 24 archetype or cliche will be dragged out on stage next. Is FBI Agent Walker (the chick with the freckles) the new Michelle...? (sort of feels that way) Is Janeane Garofalo the new Chloe...? (so far, so good) Has Tony really gone bad, or is this all just an elaborate undercover job for him...? (my money's on the latter)

I certainly wouldn't recommend 24 to anyone these days. But at the moment, it's my guilty pleasure of 2009.

No comments: