Friday, January 30, 2009

Biking Streak Has Now Officially Ended

With several feet of snow on the ground, I'm calling January 2009 a lost cause for cycling (by me, anyway), meaning that my biking streak has now ended at 36 months.

Being able to say that you rode your bike downtown (round trip = approx 20 km) at least once a month for 3 consecutive years (January 2006 through December 2008) is nothing to sneeze at, I'd say. As the photo in this post from December 2007 shows, it wasn't always easy... or even particularly safe! However, despite whatever the weather threw at me, not only did I keep the streak alive for those 36 months, but I also managed to complete those hundreds of trips without any accidents or injuries. About the worst thing that's happened to me on my bike (so far) has been breaking the axle between my pedal bars... which I've managed to do twice!

Anyway, the end of the streak doesn't in any way dampen my enthusiasm and impatience toward the arrival of Spring, and what that season always brings with it: the return of my biking way of life. I hope to be able to get back to finding excuses for bike rides two or three times a week, and see if I can't work off some of this winter flab in the process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful accomplishment! Let's see if you can break it after your re-start in Feb!