Monday, January 26, 2009

Is BSG Going To End With A Whimper?

After watching the first two installments of Battlestar Galactica's Season Four Point One (aka the second half of Season Four), I'm sorry to say that I'm filled with apathy and disappointment.

The first half of the season ended with such a great image - that of a devastated, post-apocalyptic Earth - that I suppose some letdown was inevitable. But geez Louise, I wouldn't have imagined being this non-plussed after two of the ten or eleven remaining episodes had aired! I had expected that each of those precious hours would be chock-full of twists and turns and shocking revelations, with a full-speed-ahead pace that would lead us to the series' conclusion, but instead it's mostly just been silly bits of political wrangling and Cylon-bashing.

And the scene with Tighe and Number Six looking at the ultrasound...? That almost made me give up on the show, right there and then. Not to mention how quickly the Chief abdicated his parental responsibility once he got "the news"... not exactly what I'd expect from someone who's been portrayed as being such a solid character up to then (Cylon or not).

BSG feels like a ship adrift to me, right now, and not in the metaphorical way that might actually be clever storytelling. The potential of that cliffhanger from last year seems to have been pissed away quicker than Bush blew the post-9/11 empathy that the U.S. had earned. And that's saying something!

Anyone actually enjoying the show at the moment, who can give me some reason to believe it's still going to be worth the ride?

No comments: