Friday, January 23, 2009

Math Tutoring

Today I completed the necessary steps to position myself for doing some high school math tutoring. I had to get a police background check done, make up a flyer to advertise myself as a potential math tutor, and then get those materials to our local high school's Guidance Office. What happens next, I'm told, is that my flyer goes into the school's binder for such things, and then parents and students go to that resource when looking for tutors. I have no idea if anything will actually come of that, though, and so I may need to figure out some other ways to advertise my services. While I wouldn't stand to make much money tutoring math, it's something that I could imagine myself really enjoying. Or, maybe I've just gotten lucky with the few experiences of that sort that I've had to date (with Tammy being the most notable of those).

This is the sort of thing that, if I get an opportunity or two, and am any good at, then word of mouth will probably do the rest of my work for me. But just like a new graduate looking for his or her first real job, it's all about getting that first foot in the door. So we'll see if it develops into anything before I get any hopes up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess you can't exactly hang out around the school handing flyers out to the kids...