Sunday, January 31, 2010

Kimota94 = One Man Army

This afternoon I got to level 45 in the multiplayer arena of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. With that comes one of the last remaining new perks, called One Man Army. If you choose to equip it (rather than any of its peer perks) then you lose your secondary weapon slot but gain the ability to swap between classes without having to first die and re-spawn. At first, this seems like a lame option, but the more I read about it online, the more intrigued I became.

For one thing, it's a great way to replenish your ammo when you get low. All you have to do is swap from class A to class A (in other words, swap but don't change) and your primary weapon and grenade caches will be refilled as if you were just coming off of a re-spawn. Since the perk that I had to give up to use it was Scavenger (which allows you to find ammo and grenades off dead bodies), this seemed like a fine trade-off.

I've now got a class for regular play (the same loadout that I've been playing with for a couple days now) as well as one for sniping, one for explosives and a couple other, less specialized choices. When you use One Man Army, there's a 5-second delay while you switch classes. After 120 kills using it, however, that goes down to 3 seconds. I've only just started with it, and so I have about 110 kills to go still before it'll be faster. I think I'll like it, but I'm still getting used to it.

My typical obsession in First Person Shooters is the kill-to-death ratio, which I've been slowly bringing up in CoD:MW2. It was around 0.5 or 0.6 when I started getting serious about the game, and it's currently sitting at 0.88. I'd love to get it up to 1.0, just to be able to say that I gave as good as I took, but that may provable unattainable, especially with Aliens Vs Predator only 2 weeks away (less until the demo arrives). Even climbing above 0.90 would be something, considering how tough this game is and how many really good players are running around in it right now.

No comments: