Monday, January 25, 2010

A New Video Game Distraction

I was really enjoying the Special Ops section of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 when I could find friends or relatives who'd go online and play it with me, but lately those opportunities seem to be getting few and far between. Some people apparently have... jobs?... and family responsibilities??... that were getting in the way of the most important part of life: playing video games with me!

So over the weekend I decided to brave the multiplayer portion of the game and see if I could do any better than I had previously (where admittedly, I'd have really needed to work at it to do any worse). I think I spent about 8 hrs on Sunday, sandwiched before, between and after the 2 Conference Championship games in the NFL, slowly improving my skills. I'm still far from being any threat in the game, but at least I'm now occasionally finishing in the top half (1st once in a while, even!) and getting more kills than deaths. It's quite the complicated game to get good at, considering all of the ways in which you can customize your weapons and equipment. It's also set up to help the rich get richer, as you get more and more perks the longer you play. I could do without that aspect, but it's there, regardless.

I'm now a rank 27 player, I believe (on a scale of 1 to 70) which speaks more to my longevity in the last 2 days than anything else. But here's the revelation I had late last night (while playing in the wee hours): Modern Warfare 2 is actually preparing me in one important way for the launch (3 weeks from tomorrow) of the new Aliens vs Predator game! How? Well, I've got a heartbeat sensor on my gun of choice, mimicking the Marine's assault rifle in AvP! You really do have to adapt your gameplay when you have that going for you, and I'm gradually easing back into it after nearly a decade away. Ah, good times!

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Very good times to the wee hours of the morning!