Sunday, May 30, 2010

My Weekend As A Math Teacher

Most of my free time this weekend has not been spent swimming (no pool!) but rather preparing Practice Sheets for a couple of high school Math students of mine, both of whom fortunately are in the same course (at different schools).

I decided to break the material down along the same unit lines that are being used within the curriculum, allowing me to focus on one aspect of the course at a time. In each case, the first page covers "Key Concepts" and instructs the student to get these clear in his/her head before proceeding on to the actual practice (i.e. questions). A typical "practice sheet" has turned out to be about 4 or 5 pages in length, and I've done two and a half of them so far (out of what I expect to be a total of four). Since final exams are now less than 4 weeks away, I want to get these completed and into the students' hands very soon, in order to give them time to spend on them before the big crunch time right before the finals begin being written. My goal is to have all four sets ready to go by the end of this week, and to get the first set or two out and being worked on sometime this week.

Hence, I've felt like a high school Math teacher all weekend. I think I could probably ace the final exam for this course right now, too.

No comments: