Saturday, May 08, 2010

One Of The Great Pleasures Of Comics

Just like with other forms of entertainment, comics are sometimes best evaluated when you revisit them years after they originally appeared. As I've mentioned here before, I've probably read Watchmen, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, something close to a dozen times in the 25 years since it debuted. When you can have that kind of experience, you feel confident in saying that a work is something special.

Today I decided to re-read the Kurt Busiek and George Perez JLA/Avengers crossover from 2003. I was inspired to do so by a page of original artwork from the series that Vicki and I recently had framed. I'm about 1/4 of the way through the story so far and it's every bit as thrilling as it was the first time I read it. I'm enjoying the oversized edition that I bought a couple years ago, which I recommend to anyone who's as much a fan of the two superteams as I am.

One of the things I've always loved about this hobby is the fact that I can often get just as much pleasure out of a comic (or series of comics) on a re-read, years after the initial encounter. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Pretty special that it holds up so well in subsequent readings.