Thursday, May 13, 2010

Success Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

It's interesting to me how some of the companies that my former coworkers are applying to or even having interviews with are in various stages of adopting/trying out Agile. I've been contacted by a few people this week who are therefore experiencing a renewed interest in the topic, which is understandable considering how much of the previous enthusiasm was killed by that office's corporate ownership.

I've been ruminating lately on the question of, how successful was our Agile adoption? No one would be foolish enough to brand it as highly successful, I imagine, since it was ultimately reversed to a large degree. But when I measure it in terms of the changes that were accomplished, especially in the areas of empowerment, adaptability, automated tests, code reviews and test coverage, I have to think we made some pretty impressive progress. And it's those achievements, more than anything else, that my ex-colleagues now forced to seek employment elsewhere may be able to bring with them into a new organization. Even just as concrete proof that those practices really are possible and not just theoretical goals that never materialize, they're very valuable, I think.

It should be an interesting next couple of months.

No comments: