Friday, December 31, 2010

On The Matter Of Contractual Obligations

I mentioned in yesterday's screenshot-laden post that I'd taken on quite a few contracts in the Call of Duty: Black Ops multiplayer arena, but didn't provide much in the way of details. Now seems like a good time to correct that.

For those who haven't played Black Ops yet, the development shop responsible for the game - Treyarch - introduced a rather ingenious concept with this edition of Call of Duty. You can, at the cost of a small number of Call of Duty dollars, purchase contracts that represent specific objectives and which pay out multiples of their cost if you complete them. So, for example, you might buy a contract for "Get 3 kills without dying within 40 mins of game play", at a cost of 25 COD$, and be awarded 100 COD$ if you do indeed get 3 consecutive kills without dying in a game over the next 40 minutes of playing online. For some of the harder contracts, there are also XP rewards that you'll earn along with the COD$.

To see how the purchase of certain contracts can change your style of playing, I bought the "TDM Massacre" contract this afternoon. It costs 150 COD$, requires that you get at least 20 kills in a single Team Deathmatch, gives you 40 min of game time in which to complete it, and pays out 1100 COD$ and 1100 XP! Quite the return on your investment, if you can pull it off. I was in my 3rd game before I had a real shot at it, and I just barely managed to do it, finishing with 20 kills and 13 deaths. In order to do that, though, I had to play like a madman: always running directly toward the biggest fire fight, not bothering to lay down Claymores because it slows me down too much and I'll probably die before any could be triggered anyway, and generally throwing all of my usual stealth and caution to the wind.

I actually like that the contracts cause me to change things up, but that doesn't stop me from turning the air blue in our living room when I'm on one... as Vicki can definitely attest to!

No comments: