Thursday, February 03, 2011

Thoughts On Mad Men Season Three (Minimal Spoilers)

Vicki and I finished the third season of Mad Men on Netflix last night, and will almost certainly dive right into the latest (so far) season shortly, thanks to the magic of Tivo. To say that Season Three ended strongly would be something of an understatement.

I was actually quite shocked by how much of the show's status quo was turned on its head during the third season finale. This was a Babylon 5 / Lost level of upheaval, if you ask me. Mad Men's a drama, rather than sci fi, so it's not quite as earth-shattering a disruption as those earlier shows experienced, but within its work-a-day context, it's huge! Of course, there may be some attempt in the following season to reset things, but I don't expect that. God help us if the events of that third season end up being a dream when a happily-married Betty Draper wakes up to hear her father singing in the shower! :-)

I think I've enjoyed each season of Mad Men more than the one before it. I love how many little things pay off eventually and reward the observant viewer for watching closely. And I have to hand it to the series writers for how well-defined each character has become over the course of three seasons now. I also love the recurring flashbacks to Don's / Dick's childhood, as that really adds a dimension of pathos to a man who would inevitably be written as a one-dimensional lothario on another show. As I said to Vicki last night, though, I've slowly come to realize that Peggy Olson is the real star of the show, despite the greater screen times that Don, Betty, Peter Campbell and others get over her. She's the one character on Mad Men who you're always rooting for but never quite sure what to expect from, and Season Three continued that tradition with the strange turn of events in her love life.

It's a great show through three seasons, and I want to thank (again) all of the blogospheric voices who encouraged me to try it out. If Season Four is strong, Mad Men may just be my favourite of the current crop of TV shows.

3 comments:

vvb32 reads said...

woo-hoo! love this show too. although last season's finale kinda stunned be. what next for don?

Tammy said...

I liked season 4 the most I think, with the notable exception of the finale. There is one particular episode called 'the suitcase' that is spectacular, I think you'll know it when you get to it. Agree that Peggy is the heart of the show, though I find myself exceptionally interested in what happens to all of the characters - there's not really a bore among them!

T said...

see, see, this show really is about the rise of Feminism.

(I'm totally addicted to Breaking Bad right now. You would hate it though)