Monday, March 18, 2013

R.I.P. Jason Molina

In and out of rehab for the past several years, the lead singer and main songwriter of Magnolia Electric Company died on Saturday "as a result of organ failure related to alcoholism," as noted on Wikipedia.  Molina was an amazing artist, responsible for several of my favourite songs of the past decade.  He was incredibly talented, and much too young to die, but addiction tends to be indifferent to factors like that.

I guess now we'll soon find out What Comes After the Blues:



"Now Noah must've had a lot of room on the ark
 For all of them broken hearts..."

 I know there are a ton of broken hearts today, across Magnolia fandom.

[Update later that same day: A friend put it best over e-mail this aft - "I’m fucking devastated".  That about sums it up.  I've been listening to MEC all afternoon.]  

No comments: