Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Two Birthday Items Of Note

One of Vicki's gifts to me, on my 50th last Sunday, was the gem seen here under the watchful eye of a certain someone:

That's Batman # 42, from 1947, featuring the Catwoman (which may explain Jonesy's interest in it).  It's the perfect sort of thing to mark a milestone like the one that just passed, and it wasn't even the biggest thing Vicki gave me for the occasion!  It's true: I'm one lucky guy!!

I treated myself to a special present this year, as well.  I happened to see a link online to a British comic store that was selling a limited (250 numbered copies) print for the current League of Extraordinary Gentlemen hardcover, Nemo: Heart of Ice.  I quickly placed my order, and this week my prize arrived, # 220 of 250 (meaning, as Vicki pointed out, that I got in just under the wire):


While it's a lovely print, it's the little squiggles at the bottom right that made it well worth the not-insignificant amount of money I spent on it.  Yes, those are the signatures of Kevin O'Neill (the artist for all League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics) and its author, one Alan Moore.  The Alan Moore, writer of Swamp Thing, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Miracleman/Marvelman, Top Ten, etc!  Let me say that one more time: I now own a piece of artwork signed by Alan Moore!!  It's still kind of hard to believe, actually.  But once we get it framed and up on a wall, it should feel more real to me.

No comments: