Thursday, October 07, 2010

Death To Co-Features!

I haven't liked the idea of "co-features" (aka back-up features) ever since DC Comics announced them as a rationalization for raising their comics' prices from $2.99 to $3.99 a year or two ago. Basically, for the addition of $1 per issue, I was getting 8 "extra" pages of story and art about a character or characters I didn't care about. Almost without exception, the co-features (e.g. The Avenger in Doc Savage) that I've paid for have been crappy. Some were so bad that I took to skimming, rather than reading them.

Fortunately, today news comes that DC is bringing their co-feature experiment to an end late this year. I would've bet money that the extra pages would go away without the price returning to $3.99 (that approach has been used before), but DC has taken the high road and declared that those $3.99 titles will resume their $2.99 price point. Definitely a good decision!

No comments: