Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Quick Halo: Reach Update

I hadn't played much Halo: Reach after the first few days of owning it as it really didn't grab me, but recently I've given it another try. I'm finding that it has a good variety of gameplay even just within the single player campaign (which is all I've tried in it so far), including some outer space battles the likes of which I don't recall from any previous Halo offering.

But nothing else quite compares with my favourite thing to do in a Halo game, which is to discover just how far I can take a Warthog (the game's main Jeep-like vehicle). Yesterday, while Vicki looked on, I maneuvered the turret-mounted buggie around some concrete blockades in order to get it up a set of stairs on the outside of a refinery building. From there, I could drive it along various catwalks, allowing my AI buddy to use the turret's rockets to quickly and effectively clear out all enemies that awaited us. Eventually I had to drive over the edge of an elevated platform in order to access a lower level, and from there I headed - Warthog and all - down through a hole in the floor into yet another area, also infested with bad guys. I remembered playing this portion of the game earlier with McChicken in Coop mode, but hadn't at that time tried to bring our ride with us. I can now attest to just how much easier the whole "clearing out" part is when you have infinite ammo on a rear-mounted rocket launcher to use for that purpose! Huzzah!

With less than 3 weeks left until Call of Duty: Black Ops takes over all of our lives, now seemed like a good time to get back into Halo: Reach. We'll see if it continues to hold my interest for the next little while.

No comments: