Tuesday, October 26, 2010

New Spin On Some Great Old Characters

Vicki and I watched the first installment of Sherlock last night, entitled "A Study in Pink". This is a recent British miniseries (three 90-minute episodes, apparently) from Steven Moffat, one of the masterminds behind the current incarnation of Doctor Who.

I was dubious going in, as I wasn't convinced that anyone could transport Holmes and Watson to the 21st century without losing what made them so special in their gaslight-and-buggy setting. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong! It was entertaining from start to finish, and managed to be both original and faithful to the source material. I kept thinking, "If Arthur Conan Doyle were creating them today, this is probably how he would have envisioned Holmes and Watson!" Its modern setting and sensibilities almost certainly make it more accessible, as I'm sure there are people out there who wouldn't watch stories set in the 19th century just on principle. The remaining two episodes should air on PBS over the next couple of Sundays.

No comments: