Wednesday, July 15, 2009

11 Years And Counting

11 years ago today, Vicki and I took possession of the house that we're currently living in. Doing so, we went from a small place in a fairly bad neighbourhood to a much larger home in a wonderful part of town. For the first time ever (for either of us), we also became the owners of a pool in very our own backyard.

Noisy neighbours notwithstanding, we both really love this house and the area around it. Most evenings we go for a walk and often comment on how friendly and comfortable this subdivision really is.

Like today, July 15, 1998 was a Wednesday. I distinctly remember Vicki, Tammy and I coming over to this house after picking up the keys from the lawyer. We were about to head out to Chicago later that day (for the Comic Convention) but wanted to eat lunch here before leaving town. Since the house was empty, we bought takeout (Harvey's, as I recall) and had to eat it standing up, at the kitchen counter. The swimming pool was reflecting the sunlight onto the kitchen ceiling (just like it's doing right now) and the place seemed aglow with possibilities. It really was a magical experience, and in the 11 years since we've had no reason to regret our decision to buy.

I've lived longer in this house now than any other home in my 46 years, and definitely like it much better than any of the previous stops. Having said that, I doubt that we'll still be here 11 years from now, but I suppose you never know.

1 comment:

i2cool2fool said...

You never really know. I left my family and a job in New Brunswick in January 1998 for 2 years of job/life experience in a big city (T.O.) and said come hell or high water I was moving back in 2 years. ah hmmmmm.....

Halfway through this Ontario stop over I met a wonderful gal (upper Canadian), moved to the London area, bought a house, got married, and am expecting my first child!

That's it! Damn it. I am moving back in two year. Come hell or high water...... we'll see, won't we. LOL