Thursday, July 16, 2009

Another Wednesday, Another Wednesday Comics!

OK, technically today is Thursday (as I only just now got around to reading yesterday's Wednesday Comics # 2) and the picture shown to the left is from issue # 1 (because I couldn't find a good scan from the 2nd issue)... but work with me here!

At any rate: what a difference a week makes! I have to say that I enjoyed this week's installment quite a bit more than the launch issue last week. There were several moments of pure joy this time around, including a surprise conversation between the World's Finest heroes in the Superman strip, a bizarre (but fun) turn in the Metamorpho strip, a bit of mind-bending time travel for Flash, Green Lantern versus a squad of Russian rocketmen and even a big ol' smooch for Batman's alter ego courtesy of a "grieving" widow at a funeral!

In fact, virtually every chapter was an improvement on its predecessor from the week before. Once again, Wonder Woman and Teen Titans didn't really do much for me, but all 13 of the other strips ranged from pretty good to really great. It seems there truly is something about the format that makes it hard to get off to a flying start, but things are definitely looking up now. I may even so far as to pull out # 1 again and re-read each feature's first two parts, back to back. I suspect that that'll make the experience even better!

Wednesday Comics is turning out to be a whole lot of fun!

No comments: