Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Boy, I See A Lot Of This

I mentioned this attention-deficit-based phenomenon a couple of months back, but even that venting didn't really do much to help me get past the annoyance I feel each time I see new instances of it. Examples like this (taken from a comment on a blog):

"I am consistently baffled by the inability of our leaders failure to see our pending crash due to the cessation of manufacturing."

The author of this comment apparently lost his way in the span of a 3-word phrase ("of our leaders"), forgetting that he'd preceded it with "the inability" and thus feeling the need to tack on "failure to see".

1 comment:

cjguerra said...

Perhaps it's because I have undiagnosed issues in this regard, but I have found myself doing that exact sort of error many times. Usually it takes the form of starting a new word before ending the previous one. Something like the brain running ahead of the typing. I also have a habit of leaving things as they stand, so if I don't catch the mistake within 2 or 3 words after typing it, the mistake will stand. I suppose if you are a serial commenter you have to just write the response and move on.

I suppose that looking at the fact the comment wasn't reviewed before posting it's show a lack of respect for the author and other readers. It's a "nouveau respect" - Internet-era respect - akin to the person who keeps their vehicle spotless and their lawn immaculate. Shows that person to be of a certain caliber - considerate and thoughtful.