Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Loading Up On Tutoring

I picked up my 6th student this evening, just in time for the 2009/10 school year (which starts one week from today). This will be my 2nd English-based tutoring gig, along with four of the Math-based variety. I've got a lead on a potential 7th student but that one's proving to be elusive to land so far (his mother's onside but the student himself has some vague and unspecified reservations to the point where we've not yet even met). As it stands now, I'll have one Grade 5 student, three Grade 6ers, one Grade 8 and a lone high schooler in Grade 11. That's quite a cross section of ages and maturity levels to deal with, but I suppose that just comes with the territory.

My schedule now is almost full, between after-school sessions and after-dinner ones, Monday thru Thursday. I'm currently sitting at 8 hours per week, although that may go up or down depending on how things progress once school begins. Since all but one of these new clients have been picked up since June, it's been hard to judge just how much time each student is really going to need once the easy-going pace of the summer gives way to the more serious demands of the school curriculum. Sometime in the next few weeks I'll have a better idea, though... and here's hoping I don't have to start offering up weekend sessions!

No comments: