Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Family Bonding

Tammy and I have been playing several hours of the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Special Ops missions every day since the big Christmas Present Opening Extravaganza (sometimes just referred to as "Christmas morning"). It's impressive to me just how much better we play as a team now than when we started, a mere four days ago. We've each adapted somewhat to the other's style while still remaining distinctly different in our approaches. Tammy tends to be more aggressive than me, and I'm inclined to hang back and sometimes even over-think the situation sometimes. Between the two of us, though, we usually strike a happy medium.

My favourite mission so far is the one (in Alpha) set in the marketplace. It's one of the few that we've completed on the Veteran difficulty setting, and I'd still enjoy playing it some more in the future. I like that it's not timed, that you have a very specific target (killing a certain number of enemies) and that goal is always clearly displayed (a counter that decreases with each kill), as well as the fact that you're punished for killing civilians. It feels like a map where you can take your time to a certain degree, but also where bad guys frequently pop up and start shooting you if you don't pay attention to your surroundings.

Modern Warfare 2 is turning out to be a pretty special game, justifying the high praise and popularity that it's amassed in the weeks since it came out. If more games were this much fun, I'd probably never get anything done! (Book? What book?)

No comments: