Monday, July 19, 2010

The African Queen, Part 3

Daughter Tammy sent out e-mails earlier today from Heathrow Airport, meaning that she's survived her journey through "the safe portion" of the Dark Continent! While she wings the last few hundred kilometres of the way home, here's the final installment of excerpts from e-mails she sent out about her time in Africa:

"We are in dar es salaam now. Just took the ferry over this morning to use the internet and check out the town; we are actually staying right on the beach (indian ocean) which is gorgeous. I got up at 8am this morning (believe it or not, that's the latest I've gotten up on the trip thus far) and went for a swim - I was the only person on miles of pristine beach with clear waters.

Dar is dirty, crowded (pop 3m) and disorganized. Reminds me of the large cities we saw last summer in SE Asia, like Bangkok. Not my thing - dirty cities are gross, but interesting to see it for an afternoon. Going to do some sunset kayaking this afternoon I think, or may just watch the Argentina-Germany game instead."


[Later:] "Tonight is our final night in Zanzibar - aka paradise. Of all the tropical places I've travelled, so far this is the best - nicest beach, best sunset. Went snorkelling yesterday which was a bit of a bust because a few of the girls were stung by jellyfish. I managed to evade them, however."

[Later still:] "All is well. I survived the serengeti - no one was eaten by a lion, although they were most definitely right outside our tents at night (no going pee!). I unexpectedly got my way onto a sunrise hot air balloon ride over the serengeti yesterday morning. AMAZING. We saw a pride of lions who had just made a kill, the female was eating while the male walked around roaring to mark his territory - we flew about 5 feet over their heads. Saw lots of lions up close, leopard, cheetah, rhino, etc. so everything I wanted to see. Great photos.

Tomorrow we begin making our way to Nairobi - stopping at a "snake farm" camping site on the way. I upgraded to a room tonight so only one more night in a tent at the snake farm, and then 2 nights in Nairobi. There's not much to do in Nairobi, probably just going to lay by the pool and try to find a mall if I can to use internet and that sort of thing.

Ready to come home now that serengeti is over (and thus no big highlights left to look forward to) - but it has definitely been a wonderful trip, quite an adventure."


Quite an adventure indeed... even for those of us who only wait at home, hoping for a safe return from a dangerous part of the world!

No comments: