Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Brief Math Book Update

I haven't mentioned No Kid of Ours is Failing at Math (How Parents Can Help) here in awhile, but it's never far from my mind. I recently sold the 45th copy of the book, which put us a little more than two thirds of the way toward profitability. I'm hoping that when the fall rolls around Vicki and I can try a couple more school bazaars, hopefully in slightly more affluent areas, though. That still seems like a good way to get some copies into the hands of parents who want them. I've done nothing on the bookstore front yet as I found some of the details that we learned earlier a little too daunting (damaged copies becoming my problem even if they get that way in the store itself, for example).

Along the same lines, I'm reading a book Vicki recommended: The End of Ignorance, by John Mighton. The author is the founder of JUMP (Junior Undiscovered Math Prodigies), an organization that helps students lose their "weak at Math" labels. I'm amazed by how many of the things that Mighton writes about line up exactly with what I've been doing and learning. That's giving me a much-appreciated confidence boost but also making me all the more interested in reading everything that he has to say on the topic. I've got a copy of his earlier book, The Myth of Ability, queued up to read next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome site, I had not noticed kimota94.blogspot.com earlier in my searches!
Continue the fantastic work!