Sunday, September 05, 2010

Happy ________ Long Weekend!

The further I get from my past as a wage-slave, the more oblivious I become to long weekends, in all their various forms. I try to stay cognizant of them only because I know they're still important to my working friends, but they just seem like such non-events to me now.

The Labour Day long weekend was always associated with two things in my mind, when I was a kid: the last break before school resumed (marking the end of summer), and the Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy telethon. (It's depressing to me, all these years later, that MD still hasn't been cured. That's a lot of Labour Day weekend money that's rolled in, over decades now, without leading to an end to the disease.) Now that I'm tutoring, this weekend marks the end of the (light) summer schedule and the resumption of kids actually having some (slight) motivation to do Math! Even just the spectre of unit tests seems to be enough to get most kids to pay a little more attention.

Anyway, enjoy your long weekend, all those of you to whom such events still matter!

2 comments:

Boneman8 said...

I was like that for about 2 months...

Vicki said...

Ah the Jerry Lewis telethon! That was required watching when I was little...he got all the good acts to support him.