Thursday, September 23, 2010

Joining The Netflix Revolution? Maybe

At the prompting of various friends (and my wife, once she heard about it), I've signed us up for the 30-day free trial of Netflix on the PS/3. I have to admit that I hadn't really given it much thought until recently, as we generally prefer buying DVDs to renting them (it's a collector thing, I guess). However, at a price point of $7.99/month, it just seems like too intriguing a service not to try. Even if we only watched a couple of movies each month, that would certainly seem to be a reasonable cost.

However, now that I've become a customer and checked out the selection, I have to say it's pretty underwhelming. Few of the movies that I searched on were available, and browsing through most of the genre lists is rather depressing. However, we may have found the one area where it'll be worth the expense: non-Hollywood fare such as documentaries, foreign films and indie flicks. I found four Kurasawa choices available, for example, three of which I don't believe we've seen. Of course, if Netflix Canada isn't regularly updating their streaming library, then we'll soon blow through what they have and be left wondering what exactly we're paying $7.99 a month for. So we'll see how that goes. [And apparently my reaction to the selection wasn't all that unusual.]

No comments: