Sunday, September 12, 2010

Our Summer Of Who

A few nights ago, Vicki and I finished watching the last unseen regular episode of Doctor Who (there are still a few specials that we're keeping our eyes out for). As noted earlier, we saw Seasons 1 and 5 more or less in parallel, and then proceeded to plow through the second, third and fourth "series" (as seasons are called in the UK). My opinion of the show continued to improve as it rolled along, to the point where I'm now looking forward to next year's run; Vicki was always pretty high on it, essentially from the first one we tried.

I especially liked the way that past companions Sarah Jane, Rose, and Martha were brought back at various points (most notably in Season 4), as that's such a generous gesture to the fans. Interestingly, I don't remember any references to them (or Donna Noble) in the just-completed Matt Smith / Karen Gillan fifth series, and I wonder why. Maybe that's par for the course when they change Doctors and companions at the same time, as happened there?

At any rate, thank you to those who encouraged me to give the 21st century incarnation of Doctor Who a try. It was time well spent, and the show now has two more fans.

No comments: