Monday, November 28, 2011

I Do My Best Thinking On My Feet

I've typically used that expression in the context of presenting or leading a workshop, as I'd get asked tough questions and have to come up with reasonable answers very quickly. I always enjoyed that challenge, and it's one of the reasons I would agree to doing something so obviously out of my normal introvert's comfort zone.

Now, though, I'm finding that a lot of the plotting of my novels - Game Over earlier this year, the new book now - is happening while Julie and I are doing our walks with Cooper. Tonight, for example, I outlined several new ideas I've had recently for her consideration, and each one of them ended up better by the end of the walk than they'd been at the start. Oh, sure, you could point out that maybe it's actually Julie who's doing most of the thinking on her feet, but really, why split hairs?

Seriously, we made some good progress tonight and I now have lots more to think about. The book is currently 7 pages long but will undoubtedly grow considerably before I decide that it's ready for publication. 7 pages, however, is quite a bit better than nothing!

No comments: