Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Biking Update

Not much of note is happening right now, but I have managed to build up a good streak of days in which I've biked to work. I've pulled it off for each of the last nine working days (including today), which doesn't sound like much except when you consider that more than half of those days have included rain in the forecast!

We seem to be in one of those ruts where almost every day has a "60 to 100% chance" of rain. Those days used to kill my biking efforts, especially when thunderstorms were forecast for the afternoon (as has also been the case lately). Who wants to face the prospect of biking home in a thunderstorm? (No sane person!) So I used to not ride my bike on days like that, often to bitter disappointment when the storm would not materialize, arrive around dinner time, or come early in the afternoon. Now I just ride in in the morning and hope for the best. That sort of thinking is why I'm currently in my 30th consecutive month of biking (at least once) to work.

Tomorrow's Friday the 13th, and thunderstorms are being predicted, so I may really be pushing it if I ride my bike. But if there's a window of opportunity in the morning, with no significant rain coming down at that time, off I'll go! And if this turns out to be my last ever blog post (headline: Local Man Struck By Lightning While Riding Bicycle) then so be it!

No comments: