Saturday, June 21, 2008

Strange Thoughts That Occur To You

While we were out for dinner at another couples' house last night - where the husband of Vicki's work buddy, it turned out, was quite the comic book / video game / movie / environmentalist enthusiast, such that he and I spent the last couple of hours deep in geeky discussion while the wives talked about pretty dresses and bonnets (or whatever subjects women actually talk about when left to their own devices) - there came a point where the four of us were talking about retirement. I put forth my concern that maybe that period won't be as grand as I like to imagine that it'll be, using the argument that removing the one thing that I'm always struggling against - all of the crap at work - might mean that an important motivation might also be gone, leaving one rather directionless.

All of which is a long lead-in to the point of my story, which came right after Vicki said, as she has many times before, "Oh, when you're retired, you won't be sitting around doing nothing. You'll keep busy writing."

What was different about hearing it this time, though, was that I was able to think, "Well, maybe that's true. After all, I have written a book already, and I'm not even retired yet!"

That was a good feeling, however self-delusional it might turn out to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also I think you should open a comic store. Think of all the time and effort and challenges it will be to develop a business plan and such. And I can help you set up the accounting records ... it will be fun.