Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Colbert In Iraq

Monday night's episode of The Colbert Report, kicking off a week-long series in which Stephen entertains the U.S. troops in Baghdad, was notable for a number of reasons. We're shown how the show's host was transported to the Middle East in secrecy, a very special guest makes a cameo appearance by the magic of video, we get an impressive interior view of one of Saddam Hussein's former palaces, and there's a hilarious bit where the hapless Colbert is put through "basic training" (for which he arrives in a stretch limo and jogging outfit). My favourite exchange during that section went as follows:

Drill Sgt: "Now, you are a Private. Right now you'll address me as 'Drill Sgt.' Do you understand?"

Colbert: "Yes."

Drill Sgt: "Drill Sgt!"

Colbert: "I understand."

Drill Sgt: "Drill Sgt!"

Colbert: "I heard you the first time."

Drill Sgt: "Drill Sgt!"

Colbert: "I'm sorry, I don't understand."

Drill Sgt: "Drill Sgt!"

Colbert: "Am I the Drill Sgt? I thought I was the Private."

Drill Sgt: "I'm the Drill Sgt!"

Colbert: "Yes."

Drill Sgt: "Drill Sgt!"

Colbert: "I agree...?"

No comments: